Unless you have been hiding away for the past few years, you will know about cannabidiol, better known as CBD. The all-natural compound derived from the marijuana plant that has become pretty sought after across America as well as the rest of the world!
However, as with most things that generate excitement and controversy, CBD has been at the core of many rumors and claims over recent years, making it more difficult for us to know what to believe!
When it comes to all things marijuana, we like to provide our readers with the facts. So today we are debunking the top 5 myths about CBD Oil that we see floating around on a daily basis!
#1 CBD Oil Is A Cure-All!
Now, if there is one thing that CBD oil is famous for, it has to be its ability to help treat a host of unpleasant conditions. Over recent years, scientists have worked tirelessly to get to the bottom of exactly HOW CBD works with the human body to provide these seemingly miraculous benefits. However, as amazing as we think CBD is, we have to say right away that it cannot CURE conditions!
With so many positive stories flying around, we understand how hard it can be for patients not to get caught up in the hype, but there is no actual scientific proof that CBD can completely reverse or cure a condition. Despite this lack of evidence, however, we still see claims on a daily basis that CBD can “CURE CANCER,” this amongst dozens of other similar claims have led to an influx of patients who believe CBD can be used instead of prescribed medications!
In the past, we have seen patients suffering from debilitating severe conditions stopping their prescribed treatment in replacement for CBD oil, which is, of course, an extremely risky move to make – especially without medical guidance! CBD is often advised to take in conjunction with many other therapies; however, no reputable online source should ever recommend replacing one for the other!
Luckily there has been a great deal of clinical research into CBD oil, so we now know that it is, in fact, beneficial in many ways to treat some conditions. Studies into CBD oil reveal it to be an immune response regulator and as such can be used as a treatment for some symptoms of depression, ADHD, multiple sclerosis and many more conditions.
Unfortunately, at this time this is as far as things go for CBD, there is no proof that CBD can do anything other than treat symptoms. While there are hundreds of anecdotal reports from people who state the cannabinoid has cured them of their condition, we are yet to see any science to back this up!
#2 CBD Is Good & THC Is Bad
For as long as cannabis has been used, we have known all about the effects it can give off. In fact, the plant has been so controversial over the years as a direct result of the high it causes that it has developed quite the stigma.
Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is the psychoactive cannabinoid that gets you high. It is this compound that has unfortunately tarnished marijuana as a harmful and dangerous ‘drug.’ This misunderstanding into precisely what THC does have led to years upon years of legal changes, public witch-hunts and ultimately prohibition that has lasted for years and years.
On the flipside of this, however, is CBD, the cannabinoid advertised as ‘non-psychoactive’ and rich with medicinal benefits! With lawmakers more readily accepted CBD, scientists and the general public, over time we have seen a definite overriding opinion that THC is bad, and CBD is good.
However, what is the truth behind this? Although clinical studies have shown that THC also possesses a wealth of potent medical benefits, from chronic pain relief, the ability to ease nausea and vomiting, protect brain cells, promote sleep and help treat PTSD along with many more! There still seems to be this idea that THC is strictly recreational, which almost entirely down to the high it produces.
So is CBD just for medicinal purposes while THC should be for recreational use only? We have to disagree with this particular myth, with both providing clinically proven health benefits, the simple fact that THC produces a high should not determine its worth in the medical field.
#3 CBD Is Not Psychoactive
Plenty of articles out there, in fact, the vast majority of them, will claim that CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it will not get you high like cannabis containing THC would. While we can completely understand how people arrive at this conclusion, it is not strictly true!
Non-psychoactive by definition means that it does not affect the mind or mental processes of a person. However, we know from countless anecdotal reports and scientific studies that CBD does have a significant impact on our consciousness. Symptoms of conditions such as anxiety, depression, addiction and PTSD can all be treated by CBD as the cannabinoid has been known to possess anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic and anti-craving properties all of which alter our state of mind.
The difference between CBD and THC is the impairment of mental and physical function. While CBD indeed does alter our psyche, it does not interfere with our day-to-day life in the same way THC can.
So technically, CBD is psychoactive; however, it is not intoxicating which THC is.
#4 CBD Is Legal In All 50 States
“Legal in all 50 States of America” is something you have likely seen on many occasions across CBD oil adverts, online articles and general word of mouth. However, how accurate is it that CBD can be obtained legally anywhere in America?
While it is no lie that CBD from hemp has become widely more acceptable across many states of the U.S. for its perceived abilities to treat a variety of ailments. The FDA is yet to legalize the compound, so where does that leave us on the subject?
First of all, it is essential to consider that not all CBD comes from the same source, and this can have a real impact on the legality of the end product. CBD derived from hemp IS legal across all 50 states; this is down to hemp containing no more than 0.3% THC. CBD derived from hemp won’t get you high, and therefore has been deemed acceptable in the U.S.
CBD from marijuana, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. Considered by law to be a by-product of marijuana, the laws around marijuana-derived CBD differs from one state to the next!
This is why things can become confusing, and rumors occur, so we would always advise that those seeking CBD derived from marijuana to check their state laws before making any purchase!
#5 All CBD Oil Is The Same
Due to CBD not having been made legal by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there is no legal guarantee that the CBD oil you purchase is exactly what it claims to be! Many of those who opt to add CBD oil to their diet as part of a means to treat a condition is often unaware that CBD oil can differ from one manufacturer to the next – and this is where things can become dangerous!
In fact, this issue is so prevalent across the U.S. that the FDA has issued warnings* every year for the past few years to make more people aware of the contents of the ‘CBD’ they are purchasing. Many CBD products tested by the FDA were shown to contain differing levels of CBD compared to what the labels claimed.
A study* done in 2017 published in JAMA revealed that up to a staggering 70% of labels on online CBD products that they tested, of which they looked at 84 were mislabeled. This meat that around ¾ of the samples they looked at had either more or less CBD in than advertised. When we consider how many patients consume CBD without speaking with a clinician, this statistic is pretty terrifying!
With legalities across the states differing, we understand why so many people opt to buy CBD online. However what we would recommend is that research is done into the manufacturer. A good brand will say where the product was sourced and how it was manufactured, it may even be worth sending your product off to a lab for testing, especially if you are consuming CBD regularly as a form of treatment.
Final Thoughts on Our 5 Top Myths
When something as significant as CBD comes along, we understand how rumors and false-truths can start occurring, and while we appreciate just how fantastic CBD oil is – we also have to be realistic about the limitations of the cannabinoid!
We hope that we have managed to clear up some common misconceptions about one of our favorite cannabinoids!
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]