- CBD Lifestyle
Cooking with CBD Oil – 5 Quick & Easy Recipes to Tease Your Taste Buds
The FDA has inadvertently guaranteed the rise of homemade CBD edibles! It recently decreed that brands were no longer allowed to add the cannabinoid to food or beverages. Therefore, you may see CBD oil edibles leaving the shelves. It is a significant blow to the industry, which reports massive sales of CBD-infused treats.
For consumers, it is an opportunity to create edible CBD at home. All you need is high-quality cannabidiol and your imagination. Before we proceed with the list of recipes, here are a few tips on baking or cooking with CBD oil:
- Choose a full-spectrum product with full third-party testing from a reputable brand.
- Begin with a small amount of CBD and work your way up.
- Store the cannabinoid in a cool, dry place. Cannabinoids are naturally sensitive to light and heat — overexposure to either will result in a degradation in quality and potency.
- Bear in mind that CBD works best in recipes with fat in them. Examples include ingredients such as butter or oil.
- Creating cannabidiol drinks is as easy as adding a few drops to your preferred beverage!
- Avoid exposing the oil to direct heat. Doing so could burn off cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. Also, cannabidiol begins to evaporate at temperatures of between 320- and 356-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Try cooking with CBD oil in sweet and savory recipes.
- Stir in the CBD as much as possible. It helps ensure even distribution throughout the recipe.
Do I Need Cannabutter for Edible CBD Recipes?
Not necessarily. Those who create marijuana edibles tend to do so with cannabutter as a crucial ingredient. You can make it if you like, but CBD oil edibles recipes don’t always call for it. There is little difference between it and weed cannabutter. But the main difference is to include CBD instead of THC; it involves the use of high CBD flowers and butter. You need approximately 10 grams of ground CBD-rich flower and a cup of butter.
Decarboxylate the Herb
Step one involves ‘decarbing’ the flower. In its ‘raw’ form, your cannabis or hemp contains acidic cannabinoids such as THCA and CBDA. It only converts into the more psychoactive compounds like THC and CBD when exposed to heat. You automatically decarboxylate your herb when you smoke or vaporize it. However, you need to go through a unique process to get your edible CBD ready.
Preheat your oven to 245 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your flower on parchment paper on a tray. Once the oven has heated up, place your CBD-rich herb inside for 30-40 minutes. Every 10 minutes, shake the tray to ensure the entire surface area of the flower is exposed. It is probably best to grind the product before this step, though you can do it afterward.
When your herb is decarbed, follow these steps:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add water to keep the temperature of the butter in check.
- Add the herb to the melted butter and keep the mixture exposed at temperatures between 160 and 200 degrees.
- Stir the mixture occasionally, and leave it on medium heat for 2-3 hours.
- Place a funnel on top of a glass mason jar and line with cheesecloth.
- Pour the cooled mixture over the funnel and let it strain. Try not to squeeze the cloth, or else you could allow unpleasant-tasting plant material through.
- Put the jar of cannabutter into the fridge. Keep it stored there until you need it for a recipe.
What About CBD Oil?
You can replace CBD-rich plant matter with CBD oil. It is even easier to make than cannabutter as it doesn’t involve straining! It is also the best option when creating CBD oil edibles. Use two cups of unsalted butter, 10 grams of CBD oil, and four cups of filtered water.
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Put it into a saucepan over low heat.
- As it melts, add the CBD oil and water. Continue cooking on low heat for 3-4 hours, and stir with a metal spoon every 30 minutes.
- The mixture will gradually thicken as the water boils off.
- When it seems dense, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Once it cools, pour it into an airtight container. Put it in the fridge for at least two hours.
The thing here is that CBD oil from a bottle is already decarbed. The above method may improve the taste of a recipe, but it isn’t strictly necessary. You can merely add CBD oil to any food or drink. Make sure you don’t expose the oil to a temperature of over 325 degrees, however.
5 Awesome CBD Oil Edibles Recipes
1 – CBD Oil Pizza – Sausage & Fresh Tomato
We would imagine that pizza is among the best-loved edible CBD products. This recipe offers four servings and takes just 30 minutes to prepare and cook! Here are the ingredients:
- 5 pounds of sweet Italian sausage
- Garlic-infused oil
- CBD oil – You can use the CBD oil butter or a tincture from a dropper
- 12-inch easy to roll pizza dough
- 3 medium beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- Dried basil and oregano
- 5 pounds of mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
How to Bake
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet until it is no longer pink.
- Drizzle oil in a pan and roll out the pizza dough to your preferred size and thickness.
- Add the tomatoes and mozzarella, and sprinkle the sausage on top.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan, basil, and oregano.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes. You know it is ready when the melted cheese starts to bubble, and the crust is brown on the bottom.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and add the CBD oil. Cut into slices and enjoy!
2 – CBD Guacamole
This guacamole is an extremely healthy, edible CBD snack. It includes avocados, which are known for the raft of vitamins and minerals they contain. Here are the ingredients:
- Three medium-sized avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved
- 5 teaspoons of ground cumin and kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 25 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper
- 5 cups of diced onions
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Half a jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- CBD oil – quantity is up to the user
How to Make
- Mash the avocado and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir to combine the mixture.
- Put the mixture into a bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in the fridge for two hours.
- That’s it!
3 – CBD Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cooking with CBD oil is far from complicated. Every recipe on this list is quick and easy, including this one. We decided not to keep you waiting for a delicious sweet CBD treat. Here is the list of ingredients for these cookies:
- Up to 15ml of unflavored CBD oil
- 1 cup of brown sugar & 1 cup of white sugar
- 5 teaspoons of salt
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of hot water
How to Bake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the CBD oil, butter, and white & brown sugar until the combination is creamy.
- Beat the eggs and, along with the vanilla extract, add them to the mixture.
- Continue stirring while adding in the flour gradually.
- Dissolve the baking soda in then hot water.
- Add to the batter along with the salt.
- Finally, sprinkle the chocolate chips into the mixture, and stir to distribute evenly.
- Spoon the batter onto parchment paper or into individual containers.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. You know they are done when the cookies are golden brown.
- 350 degrees may appear like an excessively high temperature since you are putting the CBD in the oven. If you are concerned, bake at 320 degrees and add a few minutes extra.
4 – CBD Pancakes
This recipe is your chance to turn CBD oil edibles into a breakfast treat. In this recipe, you get to use the cannabutter you made. Here are the ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons of melted cannabutter
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 5 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 25 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
How to Make
- Combine all of the ingredients into a single mixing bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the pan with olive oil or cannabutter.
- Allow your mixture to sit for approximately 10 minutes.
- Cook the pancakes as you usually do.
5 – CBD Pesto Pasta with Spicy Shrimp
Enjoy a tasty Italian meal while keeping things healthy with this recipe. While this edible CBD dish seems complicated, it is straightforward. Here are the ingredients for the pesto:
- 5 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 5 cups of fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons of full-spectrum CBD oil
- Salt and black pepper if desired
You can create the shrimp pasta with the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of asparagus cut into 2” pieces
- 1-1.25 pounds of shrimp
- 2 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces of uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper if desired
How to Make
- Put all of the ingredients for the pesto into a blender. Mix until it is a smooth sauce.
- Transfer it to a small bowl, cover with cling film, and place it in the fridge.
- Add the pasta to a pot of boiling water. Follow the instructions on the pack and decide if you like your pasta firm or soft.
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, grind the cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Dip both sides of the shrimp in this dry mixture.
- Start frying the shrimp in the pan, and add the lemon juice. Continue cooking until both sides of the shrimp are pink.
- Add the washed and chopped asparagus to the pasta in the last three minutes of cooking. Drain the combination and set it aside.
- Add it to the pan once the shrimp is cooked. Sauté for up to a minute and turn off the heat.
- Mix in the pesto. Next, add the tomatoes and basil leaves. You can finish it off with shaved Parmesan cheese if you wish.
Final Thoughts on Cooking with CBD Oil
We hope you found these CBD oil edibles recipes useful. As you can see, it doesn’t require a great deal to add cannabidiol to your favorite meals or snacks. Remember, if you are adding CBD oil to a recipe in the oven, keep the temperature below 352 degrees. We also recommend sticking to unflavored oils.
Do you have any unique edible CBD recipes to offer? If so, drop us a comment and let the world know how you cook with CBD oil.