Statistics from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) show that 40 million adult Americans suffer from anxiety disorders. This equates to 18% of the population and makes it the #1 mental illness in the U.S. Although it is eminently treatable, only 37% of sufferers receive treatment. Prescription drugs and therapy are typical treatments, but now, CBD is being touted as a potential cure for anxiety.
It is important to remember that anxiety comes in many different forms. Here are a few examples:
- Generalized Panic Disorder (GAD)
- Panic Disorder (PD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
What Are The Existing Anxiety Treatments & What Are Their Side Effects?
There is certainly no shortage of available treatments and, even though a large percentage of people don’t look for help, tens of millions do. You probably won’t be surprised to learn that prescription medication is by far the #1 treatment option. According to Anxiety Centre, anti-anxiety drugs have been doing remarkable trade for years.
Back in 2002, the two most common anti-anxiety drugs, Zoloft, and Paxil were in the top 8 most prescribed medications in the United States. While they are no longer in the top 10, anti-anxiety drugs such as Xanax, Valium, and Ativan remain incredibly popular. Perhaps more worryingly, an estimated 1-in-6 Americans take a psychiatric drug such as a sedative or an anti-depressant according to Scientific American.
The efficacy of prescription medication has long been debated. An increasing number of scientists and medical professionals believe that the side effects are not worth the risk when compared to any positive impact of the drugs.
The most commonly prescribed drugs are antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) which include Sertraline, Citalopram, and Fluoxetine. There is also serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) and a drug called Bupropion. While they don’t cause as many side effects as older classes of anti-depressants, they can still result in the following:
- Weight gain
- Sexual problems
- Negative changes in behavior and mood
- Panic attacks
- Feeling agitated and restless
Despite the obvious problems, medical professionals routinely prescribe these medications as an opening step. With such easy access to pharmaceutical drugs, it is no surprise to hear about the horror stories surrounding these drugs including misuse, tolerance, and side effects.
Another major problem with anxiety is that it can exacerbate physical ailments. Aside from common problems associated with anxiety such as an upset stomach, people who suffer from the condition are at a greater risk of suffering from a variety of chronic health problems. Anxiety has even been linked to conditions such as gastrointestinal problems, heart disease, and respiratory problems. It is also linked with substance abuse; especially alcohol or illegal drugs as anxiety sufferers seek an escape.
If an anti-anxiety drug is either ineffective or results in serious side effects, you may think you have nowhere to turn. Thanks to a major change in legislation regarding industrial hemp, all that is about to change.
How Can CBD Help Anxiety?
CBD is one of the dozens of cannabinoids found in marijuana and hemp plants. It is a naturally occurring substance, and an increasing number of companies are finding ways to extract the CBD from plants. Moreover, these firms can use CO2 extraction to create oil rich in CBD but contain little or no THC; the psychoactive compound banned in so many places. As a result, CBD oil is classified as a food supplement as long as it contains less than 0.3% THC which means it is legal for sale all across America.
The Research: CBD for Anxiety
Major pharmaceutical companies are growing uneasy at the sudden popularity of CBD oil, and we expect these organizations to purchase stakes in this burgeoning industry ultimately! The theory behind CBD oil and its ability to cure anxiety is as follows.
CBD works with a brain receptor called CB1. A ‘receptor’ is a tiny protein attached to your cells that receive chemical signals from varying stimuli to help your cells respond. Research relating to the impact of CBD on the CB1 receptor is ongoing, but there is a prevailing belief that it has a positive effect on the body’s serotonin levels.
As you may be aware, serotonin is an important chemical regarding mental health. It is common for people with depression to have low serotonin levels, and it can also cause anxiety.
It may take years for detailed research to prove that CBD can help anxiety conclusively but early results are positive. After early animal studies showed encouraging results, a 2011 study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology showed that CBD helped human patients with SAD. In the study, participants received a placebo or 400mg of CBD. Those who took the CBD reported decreased levels of anxiety.
Another report, published in Neurotherapeutics in 2015, said that preclinical evidence supports CBD as a treatment for SAD, PTSD, OCD and several other disorders associated with anxiety.
Which CBD Oils for Anxiety are Best?
Don’t make the mistake of believing that every seller of CBD oil is reputable. In rapidly growing markets, there is always a fair share of shysters and the CBD oil industry is no different. As a result, we have taken the liberty of finding the best CBD oils for anxiety. Check out which CBD oils work on our CBD Oils for Anxiety Comparison Chart
Final Thoughts About CBD for Anxiety
Initially, the only evidence we had as to the efficacy of CBD when curing any ailment came from animal studies. In the last few years, however, an increasing number of reports are getting published in respected journals, and they show a positive impact on humans.
The social and financial costs of anxiety disorders in the United States are billions of dollars annually so it would behoove us to treat CBD with the seriousness it deserves. While more research is needed, countless individuals have already attested to the effectiveness of CBD for anxiety.
- How to Tell if CBD is Good [Simple Tips and Techniques]
- 5 Incredibly Simple CBD Edibles Recipes [For the AVERAGE Cook!]
- 5 Reasons Why CBD Oil is Not Working For You
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]