It’s the end of the day, and what a day it’s been. All you want to do is crack open a beer, sit back, take your CBD medicine, and relax. It sure is annoying how beer and CBD can’t be mixed together, right?
Well, believe it or not, CBD-infused beer is already a thing. And not does it only exist, it might just be the biggest thing to hit the adult beverage market since homebrewers realized, “Hey… do you think people would buy the beer I make?”
Though it might immediately seem strange to mix together CBD and beer, doing so can combine two great things to make an even better thing. However, why would we want to do it in the first place? Why could this beverage be so significant? Let’s find out.
First Things First: What is CBD?
CBD is the non-psychoactive component of cannabis, commonly extracted and then suspended in inert oil (like coconut oil) in order to form CBD oil. CBD interacts with the body’s Endocannabinoid system, a unique health system originally discovered as a result of cannabis research.
The ECS exists throughout the human body – in fact, it exists in all mammals – and is triggered by cannabinoids, both those present in cannabis and those produced naturally by the human body.
The primary receptors in the ECS, CB1 and CB2, have the ability to help control and modulate a variety of bodily functions depending on which receptor is triggered. The CB1 receptor is located mainly in the brain (as well as the nervous system), allowing it to control the sensation of pain and the release of a variety of different neurochemicals like serotonin and melanin.
CB2 receptors, however, are more generally spread throughout the body, allowing their effects to be felt more generally. The CB2 receptors, when triggered, can help encourage cellular regeneration, as well as stopping the inflammation response.
Due to the myriad of ways the ECS interacts with the body’s systems, CBD has huge potential for treating a variety of different conditions. Additionally, CBD is an effective antioxidant, an important substance that may be able to help fight degenerative disorders like Parkinson’s disease and Multiple Sclerosis.
There are a huge number of ways to consume CBD, but one of the most recent methods of doing so is administering it in beverages. While originally started as a way to ingest CBD oil without any unpleasant flavors, brewers are now making CBD-infused beer for both its distinctive taste, as well as its medicinal properties.
But why are brewers doing this? Why go through all the trouble, when ingesting CBD oil might just be easier — and more effective?
CBD-Infused Beer: Is it a Gimmick, or Does it Actually Work?
Beer-making is a craft practiced since the dawn of human civilization – in fact, some argue that civilization could never have existed without beer to help bind humanity together (no, seriously, it’s a theory).
It tastes good, it’s fun, and it’s a great way to get calories from poor tasting crops like barley. But why on earth would people want to infuse it with CBD?
Hops and cannabis are actually extremely closely related; you could even call them cousins. They share a common ancestor as a plant, which explains some of the crossovers in certain properties. If you’ve smelled the aroma of fresh hops – especially ones of a citrus variety – you might find yourself thinking “Wow, that really smells like cannabis!”
This is because they both share something called terpenes, which are a series of compounds responsible for distinctive smell and taste profiles in plants. Many terpenes are shared between cannabis and hops, so it makes sense that brewers were initially tempted to try and combine them. After all, food and drink should be paired with similar tasting food and drink, right?
Except for a few outlying, maverick brewers who actually make beer directly from the roots and stems of cannabis plants, most CBD beer is normal beer that has been infused with CBD.
This means, usually, that the brewing process has some CBD extract applied at some point, allowing the flavors to develop and the experience to combine until you reach the point where you get a CBD beverage.
What’s interesting about this is the fact that, most of the time, people find the taste of CBD oil quite unpleasant. Often, people talk about alternatives to taking straight CBD oil as a way to mask the unpleasant taste. However, in the case of CBD beer, this distinctive cannabis plant extract taste is actually desirable.
By mixing it with a hoppy, IPA-type beer – a beer made with a large amount of hops, both during the fermentation process and in later secondary stages – CBD beer is a taste experience like no other. You can get strong citrus fruits, as well as the pleasant bitterness people often enjoy with IPAs, reinforced with the earthy, almost citrusy bitterness of the CBD.
Even if you don’t actually like the taste of CBD at all and just want a way to completely avoid it, by mixing it into beer the taste is masked, and becomes something entirely different.
But are there any actual medicinal benefits to taking CBD beer? And more importantly, is it actually supposed to be consumed as a medicine?
The Benefits of CBD Beer
The benefits of CBD are well-established in numerous studies; it has the potential to treat a number of different medical conditions, as well as generally relaxing you through stimulation of the CB1 receptor in the endocannabinoid system. CBD can help you feel calmer, more awake during the day, or sleepier at night. (This is actually very similar to the effects of alcohol, especially when consumed as beer).
Beer is, of course, a type of alcohol, but it isn’t just a straight distillate of alcohol like with spirits; instead, it’s fermented grains reinforced with hops. The combination of alcohol and hops gives you a gentle body high, allowing you to feel relaxed as well as more generally care-free. Your inhibitions are lowered the more you drink, something that cannabis is also capable of.
Though hoppy beers and CBD have a number of similarities, it generally stops there as far as medical benefits go. Alcohol is in no way an actual medicine, so when you drink CBD beer, if what you’re after is a medicine, you’re really just looking for the CBD.
However, this also means that you aren’t over-medicating yourself by drinking CBD-infused beer; you are simply able to enjoy the experience and feel relaxed.
This is precisely why CBD beer is so popular; you get the relaxing effects of beer, combined with the relaxing properties of CBD, without any further complications. CBD beer isn’t really designed as a way to “dose” you with CBD, though, as the doses are usually quite low.
Instead, it’s a way to get a wonderful, unique taste from a beer, as well as exposing you to a helpful medication — even if it’s only in small amounts.
What About Legal Issues with CBD Beer in the USA?
Surprisingly, there doesn’t actually appear to be that much of a problem with making CBD-infused beer. As CBD is listed as a food additive – originally done so to make it easy for the FDA to approve oral CBD products – it can actually be mixed in any number of “foodstuffs” without running afoul of the federal government.
Besides meeting criteria for food and drink distribution, CBD beer makers don’t have to worry about complicated legal issues. The same can’t be said for THC-infused beer, or any kind of beer infused with marijuana.
In that case, brewers have to contend with state law, federal law, and even, in some cases, local county law. This makes the whole process confusing and expensive. Thankfully, for CBD beer this isn’t a problem at all. Brewers can enjoy not being hassled by the government, as CBD is entirely non-psychoactive and legal to be added to food and drink.
Final Thoughts on the Popularity of CBD Beer
Though it might be strange to think of it, CBD beer is becoming the next big craze among beer artisans. Among any food or drink culture, there are always going to be people interested in experimenting and trying out new combinations and flavors. And thanks to the legalization of CBD and its well-established, well-understood medical benefits, CBD is able to be tested as part of a new age of therapeutic brews.
Due in part to its medical properties, but mostly due to its exceptional taste, CBD beer is primed to take the world by storm, and is starting to appear all over the place. You might not have seen any yet, but consider trying some CBD beer the next time you find some. Assuming you like beer in the first place, it might be just what you’re looking for in a new beer experience!
- How to Tell if CBD is Good [Simple Tips and Techniques]
- 5 Incredibly Simple CBD Edibles Recipes [For the AVERAGE Cook!]
- 5 Reasons Why CBD Oil is Not Working For You
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]