There are many things you don’t want to forget in life, but forgetting about your family and loved ones is by far the very worst.
Alzheimer’s disease is a serious, chronic, neurodegenerative disease wherein sufferers experience degradation in their brain functions. The condition is responsible for 60-70% of all cases of dementia, and is a serious risk to all elderly people. Its causes are poorly understood, and it completely lacks any kind of known treatment or reversal. For these reasons, its appearance is almost completely random and incomprehensible.
However, doctors do have ways to help mitigate the symptoms, as well as improve the quality of life among those who suffer from the condition. One of the methods that has been popping up increasingly in recent years is cannabidiol, or CBD oil. Before we get looking at CBD oil for Alzheimer’s disease though, and why more and more doctors are recommending it as a potential treatment option, let’s take a look at what Alzheimer’s actually is.
What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
The singularly awful part of Alzheimer’s disease is that it develops slowly. Its causes are not known, but its progression is extremely slow and difficult to notice.
To start with, the sufferer will begin to experience lapses in memory, problems with speech or language, and perhaps most well known (and usually the point at which a diagnosis is made), occasional confusion and subsequent irritation over seemingly nothing.
The reason Alzheimer’s disease develops is almost completely unknown, but we do at least understand some of the processes that are associated with its initiation.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by a loss of neurons and synapses in the cerebral cortex, which causes atrophy of the brain and generally results in diminished brain capacity.
Essentially, the brain undergoes a sharp decline in mental ability due to the slow loss of neurons. We are not yet able to identify a step in the process of the declining Alzheimer’s brain to actually stop the disease from progressing, however.
Brain scans of an Alzheimer’s disease patient reveal that the amyloid plaques are dense, with cellular material coating it thickly outside the neurons. When compared to an image of a healthy brain, the sharp definitions of the brain are thick and muted, betraying the cellular degeneration that occurs within.
Additionally, the existence of Lewy bodies is exceedingly common within Alzheimer’s disease brains, which are generally caused by an oxidation effect on the brain cells. These can also lead to the development of Parkinson’s disease, another serious degenerative disease that results in motor loss.
Overall, Alzheimer’s is a particularly terrifying disease because of its incomprehensibility; we don’t understand why it starts, we don’t understand how to treat it, and worst of all, it keeps getting worse for the remainder of the sufferer’s life.
There are medications to hopefully delay the degeneration, but these usually do nothing to abate the eventuality of continued deterioration – and ultimately death – other than slightly delaying it.
There has been new research that considers the use of CBD oil as a possible option to help treat Alzheimer’s disease, but what is CBD oil exactly, and should you use it as a practical treatment option?
Why CBD Oil for Alzheimer’s Disease?
CBD oil is a cannabinoid extract from the Cannabis sativa plant. Instead of possessing the psychoactive properties of its more rowdy cousin THC, however, CBD acts as a counterpoint to the narcotic element of cannabis, serving as a potential medicinal compound with no psychoactive effects.
While the medicinal properties of THC are also quite apparent, it is of course marred by its association with getting high. CBD creates no intoxicating effects, but rather works with the body to help improve overall health and immune balance.
When consumed, CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system, a health system within the body that’s made up of two primary receptors: CB1 and CB2 receptors, each of which interact with the body in different ways.
CB1 receptors are located primarily within the central nervous system and the brain, whereas CB2 receptors exist more generally throughout the body and are primarily responsible for the instigation of cellular regrowth.
CBD oil is simply extracted cannabidiol that is mixed into inert oil so as to provide an easy method of ingestion. Various studies have shown CBD’s potential for helping with a variety of different diseases and conditions, both in their treatment and in their prevention.
However, one of the most recent discoveries is the use of CBD for Alzheimer’s disease. Let’s see how it works, and what the studies are saying.
CBD Oil, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Neurological Effects
Cannabis has been researched and examined for use with neurological disorders for several years; ever since marijuana was demonstrated to help with epilepsy, researchers have been keen to see what other conditions the drug may be able to help with.
Drs. Georgia Watt and Tim Karl, for example, in their study for the academic journal Frontiers in Pharmacology, explored the potential for CBD to act as a neuroprotective, regenerative medicine in Alzheimer’s patients.
In the study, Watt and Karl focused on CBD’s established anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and what this could mean for Alzheimer’s symptoms.
Research conducted by such as scientists as Carrier et al. in their significant study were some of the first to look at CBD’s remarkable anti-inflammatory properties, but in Watt and Karl’s study, they were more focused on what that it could specifically mean for neurological cells.
The study found that CBD works effectively at reducing reactive gliosis and the neuroinflammatory response within the brain, as well as promote neurogenesis. This essentially means that, while CBD doesn’t necessarily stop Alzheimer’s disease, it may be able to work as an effective medicine to stop the typical neuroinflammatory response.
Additionally, CBD is well known for its ability to encourage healthy cellular growth, so to have Watt and Karl discover that CBD can encourage neurological cells to regrow in a healthy fashion, is immense news for victims of Alzheimer’s that are looking for a safe, natural treatment option.
Perhaps even more importantly, CBD has been shown to reverse and prevent further development of cognitive deficits during animal tests. These cognitive deficits caused by Alzheimer’s disease are some of the chief problems of the early stages of the condition, as the process of gradually losing your mental faculty and intelligence is an utterly terrifying one.
Cellular regeneration is one of the hallmark properties of CBD, famously being used to treat skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis through proper skin cell regeneration. By applying these same properties to the brain, it would appear that CBD could be effective at helping promote healthy brain cell regeneration as well.
Research into the complete potential for CBD to halt Alzheimer’s disease is yet to be properly undertaken, but due to the recent nature in which CBD has entered the public sphere as an acceptable medicine (rather than its association with getting high), our understanding of the compound’s neurological effects are surely primed to increase.
Watt and Karl’s study serves as an excellent demonstration that CBD – as well as combinations of both CBD and THC – require more study and legitimacy as far as treatments for Alzheimer’s disease go.
A great example of this as of yet “unreached potential” is evident in another study, conducted by Lim et al. for the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology and Neuroscience. The publication looked at a variety of other studies wherein medicinal cannabis was used to treat mental and neurological conditions, and one of the conditions investigated was Alzheimer’s disease.
Dr. Lim’s study concluded that, of the 24 reports they investigated, cannabis had a definitive role in reducing agitation and possibly repairing the damage suffered by Alzheimer’s disease patients. However, the reports they investigated were rife with poor methodology and incomplete descriptions, which forced them to report that they were unable to come to an adequate conclusion about the role of cannabis for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
They did, however, focus on the fact that more studies should be carried out on Alzheimer’s disease and cannabis, with better scientific practices so as to properly determine its therapeutic potential.
Finally, in a study by Eubanks et al., researchers for the Journal of Molecular Pharmaceutics looked at the molecular link between marijuana and Alzheimer’s disease. In the study, researchers noted that cannabinoids competitively inhibit some of the metabolic enzymes that are key pathological markers to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. Acetylcholinesterase, in particular, is understood to prevent enzyme-induced amyloid peptide aggregation, and it was found that cannabinoids like CBD bind with the site of the enzyme’s creation, thereby impairing its ability to function.
This study was especially significant in terms of validating cannabis as a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, as it appeared to note cannabis’s ability to change the molecular onset of Alzheimer’s disease entirely.
Thus, not only does CBD appear to work with great efficacy at reducing the damage done to the brain through Alzheimer’s disease, it could actively work to stop its creation altogether.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease is a growing health concern throughout the western world; with population groups tending towards older average ages due to increased life expectancies and better medicine, the rate of Alzheimer’s disease diagnoses is expected to triple over the next 50 years.
In light of this horrifying statistic, it is imperative that we undertake as much research and understanding as possible to help diagnose, treat and prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
Thanks to recent legalization efforts undertaken throughout the western world, cannabis is finally becoming well known as an effective medicine, meaning we can begin to look at its use in treating Alzheimer’s disease.
Though there exists comparatively few studies concerning its efficacy, the results so far have reasonably concluded that CBD – as well as cannabinoids in general – can work as an effective treatment of Alzheimer’s disease both through its cellular regenerative properties and in its ability to promote healthier brain cells through anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects.
We still have much to learn about the potential of CBD, but the simple fact is that thousands of people are already using CBD for Alzheimer’s disease with succesful results. With more research and case studies, this amount will hopefully increase to the point where sufferers of Alzheimer’s disease can be more effectively treated and have their quality of life restored to them.
- How to Tell if CBD is Good [Simple Tips and Techniques]
- 5 Incredibly Simple CBD Edibles Recipes [For the AVERAGE Cook!]
- 5 Reasons Why CBD Oil is Not Working For You
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]