Getting old is a part of life. As we grow older we start to change; our bodies don’t work quite as well as before. New creaks and pains spring up in areas you didn’t even know you had and, of course, you will start to see wrinkles appearing in your previously lush and lovely face. You might not like it, but it is unavoidable. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to fight the aging process though.
Billions are spent every year on all sorts of treatments designed to keep you looking and feeling as youthful as possible. One you may not have thought about is cannabidiol (CBD) oil. There are a growing number of people out there who are using it to keep hold of their youthful vitality. In this article, we look at the different ways CBD oil can help with anti-aging. Read on to find out more…
CBD is one of the two main active ingredients in cannabis. It is the second most common after the more well-known THC, but they are both cannabinoids. Until quite recently, we had no idea why cannabis had the effects on the body it does, but in the mid-1990s a breakthrough solved the mystery. Scientists found that our body had an internal system called the endocannabinoid system, which is regulated by chemicals we produce naturally. They observed that these chemicals work in a very similar fashion to the active ingredients in cannabis, and so they named them endocannabinoids.
Since the discovery of the endocannabinoid system, it has been found to be linked to an incredibly wide range of bodily processes including immunity, appetite, inflammation, and pain sensations. The cannabinoids in cannabis have an effect by acting upon the endocannabinoid system, and so cannabis gives off such a variety of effects because the endocannabinoid system is involved in so many different processes within our bodies. By acting upon this system, cannabis can potentially affect all of the processes it helps regulate.
Both THC and CBD have been studied together and separately to see the effects they have. THC has been shown to be the ingredient in marijuana which gives the “stoned” effect that recreational users seek, whereas CBD does not contribute to the “high” feeling associated with cannabis, and actually acts against it. Instead, CBD seems to have more of an effect on the bodily processes regulated by the endocannabinoid system. Using this knowledge as a starting point, scientific research has shown that CBD could be effective in helping against a whole range of conditions associated with the endocannabinoid system, including a few associated with old age…
Can CBD help with wrinkles?
Wrinkles are one of the number one concerns of people worried about showing their age. They are naturally occurring and deepen with age, becoming more pronounced and noticeable. As you get older, your skin gets drier, thinner, less elastic and less able to protect itself. This causes wrinkles, lines, and creases to appear.
If the sight of your crow’s feet is causing your frown lines to be on regular display, then you might be keen to hear if CBD oil can help. The good news is that science suggests that it can indeed help reduce wrinkles. Hampson et al. carried out research into CBD that was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, back in 1998.
They examined the actions of CBD on rat neuron cultures and found that it is a very powerful antioxidant. In fact, they found it to be a more powerful antioxidant than both Vitamins C and E, two of the best options traditionally used to prevent wrinkles and keep skin looking young. This study definitely suggests CBD could help with wrinkles if it is a better antioxidant than two of the most effective and commonly used wrinkle preventers.
Can CBD help with inflammation?
Inflammation is your body’s natural response when trying to defend or repair itself. It is your body’s first response to almost anything it notices going wrong. Here are a few of the most common symptoms associated with inflammation:
- Joint pain
- Joint stiffness
- Muscle stiffness
- Loss of energy
- Loss of joint function
Now doesn’t that list seem like a lot of the most common complaints associated with old age? As you get older, your body notices that things are not working quite like they used to and so inflammation occurs a lot more often. The body is trying to fix things or send a message to you that you can’t use body parts in the same way as before.
Inflammation is also linked to a whole host of different conditions. Here are just a few:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Gouty arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Lower back pain
- Heart disease
Again, do you notice how these are all conditions which increase in older people? If you can fight inflammation, you could help fight against many of the most common and biggest health concerns associated with getting older.
There is a lot of research out there that shows CBD could be effective against inflammation. To pick one that is particularly relevant in examining CBD’s effectiveness in the fight against aging, we will look at another study published in the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America journal, this time in 2000. Malfait et al. induced mice with rheumatoid arthritis (the most common type of arthritis) and used CBD as a treatment. Their results were immensely exciting, as they found that CBD had a potent anti-arthritic effect, at least partly due to its strong anti-inflammatory action. This study and plenty more show that CBD can be very effective in calming inflammation, and if you can calm a problem linked to so many health complaints associated with old age, you can help fight against them. This will help your body continue to feel fresh as you age.
Can CBD help with brain function?
One of the biggest worries with old age is the effect on your brain. As you get older, you are not as sharp mentally. You begin to forget things, it’s a lot harder to learn new skills, and you even begin to talk slower. It makes sense if you think about it. The rest of your body starts to deteriorate and can’t function as well – why wouldn’t your brain, too? When you start getting to the very late stages of old age, you start to see a lot more conditions linked to neurological deterioration, such as Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s.
With all this in mind, it is important that we try to look after our brains as much as possible as we start to get older. After all, it is the key to keeping everything else going, like the driver in a car. Can CBD help with brain maintenance? Avraham et al.’s 2011 study suggests maybe it can. Published in the British Journal of Pharmacology, researchers severely impaired cognitive and neurological functions in mice and then treated them with CBD. The results were staggering. CBD restored the mice’s impaired functions, from which they concluded CBD ‘improves brain pathology in accordance with normalization of brain function.’ It genuinely seems as if CBD could really help with keeping the brain healthy and functioning normally.
Final thoughts on CBD for Anti-Aging
No one likes to think about getting old too much. There are a lot of problems that occur with aging to worry about, from the trivial wrinkles to the more serious worries about cognitive decline. Remarkably, the latest scientific research suggests that CBD might be able to help with a lot of them! Obviously, it is not a real-life fountain of youth keeping you young for the rest of time, but it does seem to be effective in acting against many of the natural problems that occur with aging. In fact, the only thing it doesn’t seem to combat is the dreaded male pattern baldness!
The fact that CBD can help with so many of the problems we see with aging is because of the wide range of processes regulated by our endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system plays a really important role in keeping your body in homeostasis. As you get older, this gets harder due to the natural wear and tear that occurs on your body, which leads to problems occurring. Therefore, it makes sense that CBD can help because it gives this system a little helping hand. If you have been searching for the ultimate anti-aging treatment that works on many levels, CBD could well be the one.
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]