Pets are just wonderful. Dogs are man’s best friend. Cats are there for you, whenever you need them. These animals encompass over 5000 years of love, companionship and brotherhood, all culminating in your favourite pal going for walks and barking at the mailman, or just lazing around in the sun’s rays.
Everyone loves pets.
However, pets get sick and, sadly, they don’t live as long as humans. We do everything we can to try and help them, make sure their lives are as happy and carefree as possible, but it’s still possible that they can suffer from any number of conditions.
We give them medication, take them to expensive vets and just generally do everything we can to help them.
However, with the recent explosion in CBD use as a medication, is it possible we could be giving cannabis to our pets?
Could weed actually help our furry friends?
How Does CBD Work, and Does it Work for Pets?
So first of all, how does CBD work at all?
CBD, the non-psychoactive component of the Cannabis Sativa plant, is the second major compound in marijuana that interacts with your body, with the other one obviously being THC.
CBD acts as a bit of a counter to THC, providing some defense against some of the negatives inherent with the psychoactive compound. A study published in the Journal of Psychoses and Related Disorders* found that CBD works to actively hinder the negative effects of THC, most significantly the increased risk of developing psychosis as a result of too much regular exposure to THC.
CBD primarily works by triggering the CB1 and CB2 receptors within the endocannabinoid system that exists within the human body. This endocannabinoid system (ECS) was discovered by Raphael Mechoulam, an Israeli chemist who led the research into the benefits and mechanics of cannabis.
It turns out that this ECS interacts with the majority of bodily functions concerned with health and regulation, ultimately being responsible for a great number of functions we take for granted. For example, the existence of inflammation in the body is generally caused by the CB1 receptors, as discovered by the National Academy of Sciences*. Through the use of CBD oil, we could actually trigger these receptors and encourage our body to help the body heal itself naturally.
It also turns out that this ECS exists in other mammals as well, most significantly in the same animals that we keep as pets.
Because pets also possess this same system, CBD has the potential to interact with them in the exact same way as humans.
Most medicines usually have some kind of problems when you attempt to use them with a different animal than what they were designed for, but CBD oddly doesn’t seem to be one of them.
Knowing that CBD works on dogs and other pets just as well as with humans, what could we be using CBD to help them with?
What is CBD Good for?
CBD has been shown to be incredibly helpful for a variety of conditions, many of which many pets suffer from as well.
CBD is primarily useful because it lacks any kind of significant side effects that might make your pet listless or even sicker.
Out of all the myriad conditions that CBD could help your pets with; here are three major issues that could be helped thanks to CBD.
CBD has been demonstrated, thanks to a few landmark cases, to have a significant benefit to those suffering from epilepsy. From the remarkable case of Charlotte Figi, we can see that CBD had a huge effect in cutting down her seizures.
Thanks to a study published in the journal of Epilepsy Research*, Emilio Perucca found hard evidence stating that CBD helps to reduce seizures. The study concluded that, when mixed with Clobazam, a common anti-seizure medication, CBD reduced seizures by a huge amount thanks to their combined effect on the brain.
This applies equally to pets, as epilepsy is a condition that affects tens of thousands of pets all over the world.
Sadly, instead of treating an epileptic dog, owners will often just throw the dog out on the street or take it to an adoption clinic.
It’s possible that CBD could be just what your dog needs to help combat its seizures.
Especially important for owners of rescue dogs, anxiety is something that frequently affects pets.
When a human is diagnosed with anxiety, they are able to seek help from a doctor, be prescribed anti-anxiety medication and talk to a counselor about their negative patterns of thought and learn, through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), to combat those thought patterns.
For a dog… Not so much.
Besides being given some herbal relaxing pills flavored like their favorite foods, most vets simply recommend to just deal with it.
CBD has been demonstrated to have a benefit similar to normal anti-anxiety medication in a study* conducted by Crippa et al., which found that a variety of lab animals, when given CBD and made to undergo a variety of strenuous, anxiety-filled tests, experienced lower levels of anxiety when compared to a placebo group.
Thanks to this study, CBD is growing to become accepted as a good way of dealing with anxiety in dogs and other pets.
For those with rescue animals, anxiety is a real problem in their new pet, so it’s possible that CBD might help them significantly.
Pain & Inflammation
Pain is never fun – our body’s natural way of alerting us to an injury is problematic and irritating, especially if the pain is chronic and doesn’t go away.
However, we humans can self-medicate in order to deal with the pain. We can buy over the counter pain medication, or just mentally justify to ourselves that the pain is nothing more than our brain trying to warn us. We can deal with it.
For pets, however, they can’t just deal with it. If you’ve ever seen a dog that’s extremely sick or in pain, you’ll notice that they try and hide away in a bush away from their family, because they think they’re dying and are trying to keep themselves away from anyone else.
With CBD, however, we can help mitigate our animals’ suffering without the same side effects as conventional pain medication.
Too often, dogs are prescribed pain medication that leaves them feeling dopey or otherwise useless, just to get through their pain.
CBD has been demonstrated to reduce pain in a more natural way, without severe side effects, in numerous studies, such as one conducted by Hill et al.* which concluded that CBD triggers the body’s CB1 and CB2 receptors to tell the brain to stop creating the sensation of pain.
No one likes tricking their pets, but if we have to trick our pets’ bodies to make their lives easier, it seems a good thing to do.
How to Give CBD Oil to Pets
To give CBD to a human couldn’t be simpler – simply by them some tincture, oil or vape e-liquid and let them take it however they want based on their needs.
However, pets aren’t quite as intelligent as humans. They don’t understand limitations in quite the same way – there’s a reason that we have to keep our dogs away from our secret dark chocolate stash; they’ll eat themselves into an early grave at the end of the garden, instead of indulging sparingly like a human.
Due to this, you can’t just let your pet have unlimited access to your vast stockpile of CBD – instead, ration your CBD through your dog’s food intake. One of the most common methods of CBD usage, CBD oil, is easily administered through food.
Simply sprinkle the requisite amount of CBD oil onto your pet’s food; they will eat it as though the oil isn’t even there, meaning they don’t even realize they’ve had their medication.
Make sure you figure out the amount of CBD you need to give your pet based on weight; there are a variety of different calculators available online, but just remember that your pet likely weighs far less than you and thus needs a far smaller dose.
However, it is important to note that, according to a study conducted by Samara et al.*, dogs have a very low oral absorption of CBD when compared to a direct, intravenous insertion. In the study, only around 13 to 19% of the CBD was actually tested to be bioavailable to the dog after oral administration.
This will be factored into any online calculators you use to figure out the amount of CBD to give your dog, but it’s important to consider that, especially where dogs are concerned, oral application is far less effective, though it is a lot easier than injecting your dog every day!
Final Thoughts on CBD for Dogs
CBD oil is quickly becoming recognized as a hugely beneficial medicine – it’s helping people with psoriasis, back pain and even social anxiety and is being imbibed more and more across the world.
However, we’re not using it to help our pets. Considering we love our pets, likely more than we like other people in some cases, it makes sense to consider doing anything we can to try and help them.
It’s possible that, using CBD oil, you can help your furry friend live a fuller and happier life.
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]