It’s important to understand that rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis are two significantly different things. While both disorders involve pain and inflammation of the joints, there are important differences with regard to the underlying causes of each.
The most substantial and obvious difference between rheumatoid and osteoarthritis is that rheumatoid (RA) is an autoimmune disorder, while osteo (OA) is a mechanical disorder. Simply put, this means that immune cells (white blood cells) are responsible for the breakdown of connective joint tissue in RA, while breakdown of tissue in OA is the simple result of age, injury, and/or general wear and tear.
Taking this into consideration, the use of CBD oil for rheumatoid arthritis has spiked dramatically in recent years in direct response to new data showing the potential role of the endocannabinoid system in reversing the autoimmune effects of the disease.
In this article, I’ll talk more about the actual physiological effects of RA, and discuss what role CBD oil plays in decreasing the likelihood of potential attacks on healthy joint tissue.
CBD Oil for RA – Understanding more about the disease
In victims who suffer from RA, the synovial fluid within joint areas is targeted and attacked by the body’s own immune cells. Normally, the synovial fluid acts a lubricating, protective barrier and allows for smooth movement of bodily joints like the knees, hips, ankles, and fingers. When the tissue is attacked and degraded, however, the fluid loses its ability to lubricate and the bones begin rubbing against one other. This causes the severe pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
Traditionally, individuals between the ages of 40 and 60 have been most prone to developing RA, even though it’s not necessarily a result of bodily wear and tear. For some reason (likely as a result of an internal molecular trigger), specialized T-cells in the body recognize the synovial tissue as “harmful,” and thus begin attacking it.
Other risk factors associated with rheumatoid arthritis include:
- Sex (women are statistically three times more likely to develop the condition than men)
- Genes (there is definitely a genetic factor associated with onset RA, though scientists are unclear what gene(s) are specifically involved)
- Obesity (obese individuals are statistically proven to have significantly slowed metabolisms, which can promote inflammation of joint tissue, including tissues of the synovial membrane)
Also, rheumatoid factor is a specific antigen that has been recognized and associated with onset RA, though doctors and researchers are still unclear what exactly it does in terms of instigating immune cells to attack healthy joint tissue. Simple blood tests can show the presence (or lack thereof) of rheumatoid factor in most individuals, but this is not necessarily an indication that the individual will develop full blown rheumatoid arthritis.
In terms of conventional treatment, RA has most commonly been treated in the past with simple analgesics (pain relievers), including over-the-counter NSAID’s like Advil, Bayer, and ibuprofen in mild cases. For more severe cases, biologics and high strength pharmaceutical drugs called DMARD’s (disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) are often necessary, though these medications (such as methotrexate) are dangerous in that they suppress the immune system, which rather drastically raises the possibility for infection.
Opioid painkillers are also a popular conventional treatment option for rheumatoid arthritis, but of course the dangerous risks associated with abuse, addiction, and overdose in these kinds of drugs are well-documented. For many thousands of users, CBD oil for arthritis is proving to be an incredibly effective alternative treatment option with negligible risks and practically zero side effects.
How CBD oil for rheumatoid arthritis works with the endocannabinoid system
In terms of functionality, it’s believed that CBD oil for rheumatoid arthritis may actually work by suppressing T-cell activity at the site of joint inflammation. This is different from conventional RA and OA treatments in that it may actual allow the underlying cause of the disease to be treated, rather than just the symptoms.
While the exact mechanisms are not fully understand, it’s recognized that T-cells likely play a crucial role in the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. For whatever reason, molecular triggers signal for the immune (T-cell) attack on healthy synovial tissue, thereby inducing the inflammation and subsequent pain associated with RA. If, as studies have shown, CBD oil is actually able to suppress this unnatural T-cell activity, researchers may be on to perhaps the only natural medication that’s actually able to treat the underlying cause of arthritis.
Additionally, it’s important to understand how CBD oil works to interact with the body’s own endocannabinoid system, or ECS. In short, the ECS is a vast network of naturally-occurring cannabinoids (just like CBD) and cannabinoid receptors. These receptors have been found all throughout the human body, including in the synovial tissue that’s targeted and attacked by immune cells in rheumatoid arthritis.
When a patient takes CBD oil, the ECS receptors are stimulated so as to be able to respond to the influx of new cannabinoids (which is the CBD oil). When the CBD binds to the receptors in the body, the substrate becomes active and begins working to regulate pain, suppress inflammation, and improve overall joint function.
And lastly, CBD oil is a well-known and very well-documented anti-inflammatory, so the majority of RA sufferers can expect to find significant joint pain relief when taking the medication, regardless of whatever internal mechanisms the cannabinoid may have on T-cells or the immune response.
What’s the best CBD oil for arthritis?
A lot of people like to use topical CBD oils, creams, and salves as rheumatoid arthritis treatment. These medications are fast-acting, and incredibly simple to use. All you do is massage the ointment into the affected area, and the active CBD compound is absorbed into the tissue where it begins interacting with receptors of the ECS.
Likewise, oral CBD tinctures are also effective at treating rheumatoid arthritis. These oils usually come in a dropper or spray bottle, and are administered sublingually (under the tongue). Absorptive tissues work to absorb the active CBD compounds, at which point they enter into the bloodstream and travel to the site of inflammation. This type of CBD oil usually takes longer to begin working, but patients can expect the effects and therapeutic relief to be longer-lasting than topical creams or ointments.
If you are looking for some great brands that develop excellent CBD oils and creams, check out our homepage. Each brand has been rated by price, quality and purity.
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]