According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), approximately 16.1 million American adults had at least one depressive episode in 2015 which equates to 6.7% of adults. Major depression is one of the United States’ most common mental disorders, and it could lead to serious issues if left untreated.
For decades, people with depression have tried to work through it in therapy or else they have consumed large amounts of anti-depressants. The side effects associated with these pills means alternatives are actively being sought out. It’s no surprise to learn that CBD is becoming a popular medical treatment for depression in the 21st century.
Traditional Depression Treatments & Their Side Effects
Typical advice for people with depression includes trying to get more sleep, exercising more, getting better nutrition, interacting with more people and finding ways to reduce and manage stress. Talk therapy also plays a major role in recovery as you discuss the issues that are giving you the most problems. In therapy, you can learn to understand the patterns of your relationships, set healthy boundaries and find out how to handle life’s problems.
Unfortunately, an increasing number of people are reliant on anti-depressants. The American Medical Association (AMA) admitted that up to 1-in-6 American adults filled one or more prescriptions for psychiatric drugs in 2013. They published their report in the JAMA Internal Medicine journal, and it was also published on NBC News.
Anti-depressants alter the balance of certain chemicals in your brain, but they can lead to side effects such as:
- Weight gain
Also, once you have been taking an anti-depressant for a certain period, you can’t simply go ‘off’ them or else you’ll suffer major side effects such as migraines. If you wish to stop taking anti-depressants, you have to ‘wean’ yourself off slowly.
How Can CBD Help With Depression
You probably know by now that the human endocannabinoid system contains receptors that respond specifically to the cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. The main one is known as the CB1 receptor, and it is located throughout the nervous system and in the brain. As depression is clearly rooted in our nervous system and is typically related to a chemical imbalance in the brain, it’s clear that CBD’s ability to affect the nervous system gives it the potential to be an effective treatment for depression.
While most people with any knowledge of the cannabis plant are familiar with the psychoactive compound known as THC, far fewer individuals are aware of CBD which can comprise up to 40% of the plant’s cannabinoid content. CBD is non-psychoactive which means you can smoke it without worrying about getting ‘high’ or ‘stoned.’
The more research that is being conducted, the more obvious it is that CBD has an impact on various aspects of the body. It can potentially help with a myriad of medical conditions such as inflammation, pain, memory, mood, appetite, sleep, and the immune system.
The Research on CBD for Depression
Depression is one area where CBD research is expanding at a rapid rate. A 2014 study by de Mello Schier et al. looked at the anti-depressant and anxiolytic-like effects of CBD. It involved the use of animal subjects who were put through a series of scenarios including conflict tests, swim tests, and a maze. The animals treated with CBD displayed fewer instances of anxiety and depression when under this stress.
A 2011 study by Crippa et al. investigated the impact of CBD on ten people who had generalized social anxiety disorder. None of the patients had ever received CBD as a treatment, and they were given either 400mg of CBD or a placebo. The individuals who consumed the CBD exhibited a greater improvement in terms of dealing with their anxiety symptoms.
An exciting study relating to the impact of CBD on young people with anxiety and depression began in June 2017. It is the first trial of its kind and focuses on people aged 12-25 who suffer from anxiety disorder and other mental health problems. Not only will the CBD they use not cause them to get ‘stoned,’ but it will also ensure they remain more vibrant and clear of mind than they would when using a cocktail of anti-depressants.
There is a myriad of reasons why CBD is potentially effective when helping people with depression but it will take years of further research to prove it. Older research had suggested that since THC and CBD affect specific receptors in the amygdala (better known as the ‘fight or flight’ response part of the brain), CBD is capable of making that part of the brain less prone to stress.
There is also the likelihood that CBD impacts the levels of serotonin in the body. Our body naturally produces serotonin, but in some people, the level produced is lower than normal due to various environmental and physical factors. People with low levels of serotonin are more likely to suffer from depression and other mental health disorders.
What CBD Oils Should You Choose For Depression?
It is important to steer clear of any tinctures or vape products containing high levels of THC as this psychoactive compound will do little to help your depression. It is CBD that works best with depression, and we invite you to peruse the site to find the best CBD products on the market from the top sellers and manufacturers.
Final Thoughts on CBD & Depression
No matter what treatment you choose, the road back from depression is a long and difficult one, but if you can make a recovery, the world will seem a happier and more cheerful place. If you’ve been taking anti-depressants for a considerable period and are finding that they’re either ineffective or causing serious side effects, perhaps it is time to find an all-natural solution. Research involving the effects of CBD on depression may still be ongoing, but all signs point towards a very positive outcome.
- How to Tell if CBD is Good [Simple Tips and Techniques]
- 5 Incredibly Simple CBD Edibles Recipes [For the AVERAGE Cook!]
- 5 Reasons Why CBD Oil is Not Working For You
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]