Cannabidiol as a substance isn’t exactly taught about in science class. True, you probably know a bit about cannabinoids and their function in the human body, but it’s unlikely you have much of an idea about the history of cannabidiol or marijuana in general.
Don’t worry, it’s not your fault; you’ve been let down! Most people around today grew up in an environment of intense fear of marijuana, with teachers desperate to avoid any kind of contact or risk of association with marijuana.
Well, no longer! Now, we can all learn together about CBD, as well as marijuana.
What better place to start than learning about where it all began, and how CBD came to where it is today?
Let’s take a look at the history of cannabidiol, as well as some particularly interesting CBD-related events.
The First Hemp Records
Despite the immediate assumption, marijuana and hemp products have actually been in use for millennia.
The very first records of Hemp use is in China during the Qin and Han dynasties, as evidenced by the study conducted by Lu and Clarke. It was listed as a primary crop in these empires, with a large amount of documentation detailing the practices and methods of both growing and using hemp.
This is primarily rooted in the industrial uses for hemp. Despite its cannabinoid content, hemp has been primarily used as a textile for making cloth, rope and other important textiles for most of human agricultural history.
The psychoactive properties of cannabis have likely always been known, but not fully exploited.
There are plenty of records detailing psychotropic experiences in human histories, though the exact chemicals or plants used is sometimes difficult to pin down.
What we do know is that, for a huge chunk of our history, we used hemp and cannabis in general for the good of everyone.
Until, that is, certain industries got in the way.
The Apparent Death of Hemp
There’s a very important reason why a knowledge and appreciation for cannabis products is only just now resurging throughout the world – hemp and cannabis products were banned in the USA.
Thanks to the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 (yes, it was spelt like that back then), the Hemp industry was essentially destroyed.
The reasons for the creation of this bill are debatable, but the principal reason seems to be linked to Randolph Hearst and his own business interests.
Hearst, who you might know as the inspiration for the critically acclaimed movie Citizen Kane, was a prestigious business man, leading the nation in newspaper circulation and paper production.
Hearst was frightened of the hemp industry because, thanks to recent inventions such as the decorticator (a contraption that made it easier to separate out plant shells), hemp was threatening to put his paper business… out of business.
So, businessmen like Hearst got together and passed the Tax Act, which levied huge taxes on anyone growing or trading in hemp.
Thanks to this, the hemp industry essentially died. Additionally, the rising fear of psychotropic drugs, primarily caused by an influx of immigrants from south of the border who used marijuana as a recreational drug, prompted the American people to backlash against cannabis in general.
It’s entirely likely that cannabis and hemp might have completely faded out of use except as a niche textile. If it weren’t for a few key moments and people, it might all have disappeared.
People like Roger Adams.
Roger Adams & The Discovery of CBD
In 1940, a scientist and Harvard graduate named Roger Adams successfully isolated CBD from the rest of the plant.
This means that he was able to separate CBD from the other plant matter and other cannabinoids, allowing him to note it as a separate entity.
However, he didn’t do a lot with it. Roger Adams is sadly a bit of a footnote, as when later scientists successfully used CBD in medical treatments, they were able to go back and realize that Roger Adams had beaten them to the punch.
Dr. Walter S. Loewe & The First CBD Tests
In 1946, although only 6 short years after Adams had isolated cannabidiol, Dr. Loewe finally began testing cannabinoids as a medicine on lab animals.
These experiments were significant because they were heavily documented, allowing future researchers to use their methodology, providing evidence to support their own theories and, eventually, try other studies out themselves.
By testing rabbits and mice after having been administered THC and CBD, Dr Loewe was able to determine the first documented effects of cannabinoids on mammals.
With regard to the specific results from CBD, Dr. Loewe found that CBD produced no discernible effects on the animals tested. Additionally, this was noted in contrast to the “central excitant” effect they observed when administered with THC.
Raphael Mechoulam’s Description of CBD
This event, despite the existence of the two that came before it, is usually ascribed the title of “The most important moment” in CBD history.
Mechoulam described the chemical structure of CBD in 1963, going further than Dr. Adams as he not only isolated the compound, but actually defined what the structure of the individual cannabinoid molecules are. He also described the structure of THC, which is incredibly important for the cannabis industry today.
Dr. Mechoulam completed this work at his lab in the University of Jerusalem, making Israel essentially the founding home of marijuana and the CBD industry.
Later on in the decade, Mechoulam began testing CBD and other isolated cannabinoids on primates, being able to determine the exact effects of different cannabinoids on our closest living animal relatives.
Mechoulam discovered that it was THC, not CBD, that caused the psychoactive high, allowing CBD to be considered a medicine that doesn’t get you high for the very first time.
First Medical Cannabis Tincture
Though it’s important to know when CBD was first isolated, it’s even more important to know when CBD was first marketed.
British Pharmacopoeia released a cannabis tincture that was likely filled with CBD full spectrum extracts, suspended within alcohol to make a CBD tincture.
This was the first example of an official, government backed medication that contained cannabis allowed to be sold to the public.
The First Legalization in the US
Once Britain released their medicine, the rest of the world began to take notice. In 1978, the state of New Mexico officially recognized cannabis as a medicine available to the public.
This was widely protested by the general public, who did not understand the full facts of what cannabis and CBD were, but it passed regardless. The bill made a lot of provisions regarding its use as a medicine, but it doesn’t actually mention CBD by name – it merely refers to using cannabis products for the purpose of treating certain conditions.
All this didn’t mean that it was easy to get marijuana or CBD though – it was still mandated very heavily by the government. However, 18 years later in 1996, California was the first state to completely legalize medical Marijuana. This was the first step in creating a solid Cannabis and CBD industry, as it provided a market for businesses to cater towards, as well as providing them with a safe space with which to grow their product.
Production of cannabis and CBD was difficult at the start, but it gradually became easier once other states began legalizing it.
However, perhaps the most important event for the history of CBD with regards to its legislation and eventual everyday use is…
Mechoulam’s Epilepsy Research
In 1980, Dr. Mechoulam teamed up with international researchers to explore the use of CBD as a specific treatment for epileptic patients.
The study was a success, demonstrating that patients treated with CBD experienced a reduction in seizures and an improved condition. However, the study was barely seen by anybody.
Thanks to the social stigma of cannabis at the time, it wasn’t covered by the media and no more effort was put into exploring CBD as a useful medicine to help treat epilepsy.
That is, until Charlotte Figi.
Charlotte Figi & Dravet Syndrome
Charlotte Figi is far from a CBD crusader – she is just a little girl who suffered from something terrible.
Charlotte suffered from Dravet syndrome, a serious epileptic disorder that gave her 300 grand mal seizures (this means the really bad ones!) every month.
At their wit’s end, her parents finally reached out to some medical cannabis growers and worked together to come up with a high CBD strain of cannabis – named Charlotte’s Web – for Charlotte to use.
After using CBD, Charlotte’s seizure frequency dropped completely, becoming only 2 or 3 a month rather than her previous frequency of 300. Her case received massive media attention, propelling CBD into the public consciousness and making people aware of the medicinal benefits.
This is such an important event because it finally, at last, showed the world that CBD could help save lives and improve the conditions of countless people.
The History Roundup
CBD has a long and storied history throughout humanity, from industrial and medicinal use, through to banning and social avoidance, then back to public awareness and usefulness.
Despite decades of scientific research and work by ardent scientists across the globe, it took 70 years from when CBD was first isolated for it to be finally appreciated.
In the end, it wasn’t the work of scientists or researchers, but the suffering of one little girl and parents who just wouldn’t give up.
- How to Tell if CBD is Good [Simple Tips and Techniques]
- 5 Incredibly Simple CBD Edibles Recipes [For the AVERAGE Cook!]
- 5 Reasons Why CBD Oil is Not Working For You
- How Can CBD Help You Up Your Game?
- What Epidiolex is, and How to Get it
- The 5 Best CBD Creams for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- How Long Does CBD Last? [A Timeline of Your System]
- When to Integrate CBD into Your Sex Life
- CBD-Infused Tea and Coffee: Revelation… or Total Gimmick?
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner's Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil for Dementia: Understanding the Facts
- Is CBD Coffee Any Good? [Advice From a Java Connoisseur]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here's What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What's the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What's the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil For Bipolar Disorder
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here's How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- "I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]"
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- SOL CBD Review + Coupon Code (2018)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]